Monday, November 3, 2008

Weekend Update

After a busy week of gigs, catching up with Chengdu friends, and incessantly checking political news I relaxed to a nice home cooked meal last night with some buddies. The main course was lamb hot pot, with assorted vegetables, tofu, and, um, whole barbecued quails to accompany it. Everything was pretty tasty though, and what's better is my relief today knowing I did not come down with food poisoning after my first "risky" meal since arriving back in China.



This past weekend I learned China does in fact celebrate Halloween. Our band was kept busy playing several gigs a day, primarily for parties. And the holiday has been imported pretty well to Chengdu. I witnessed pumpkin carvings, costumes, scary music, didn't see any trick-or-treating though. Maybe it has something to do with the fear some Chinese have that in America adults take great pleasure in putting poison and razor blades in the candy before they hand it out.

Well next week should be a pretty exciting time. A new American president is elected, guitar legend Will Chapin arrives in Chengdu, and maybe my hanging clothes will finally be dry. Stay tuned to the blog for in-depth coverage of all this and more! Josh is in China!!

2 comments:

povin said...

hah
i'm coming~!

Anonymous said...

Man...consider yourself lucky. Not all parts of China are so open to different styles of music. I would love to have a guitar legend coming around Xinjiang, but I doubt we'll be getting anyone anytime soon.

I would love to see some video of one of your gigs here in China, though, so if you ever get a chance to post one, do it!