Monday, December 22, 2008

Back to Chongqing, Lao Wai Gig

This past weekend I spent two days and one night on a mountain about three hours outside of Chongqing. This performance (which is usually the case for the gigs I play outside the city) was a "Lao Wai Gig." As I have mentioned before on the blog, this is essentially a gig where the person hiring is only looking for foreign faces.

The event was very typical. The massive upscale real estate development was just in its beginning phases and the development company hosted a lavish party to entertain prospective buyers. Those who were interested were bussed in by the hundreds from Chongqing. The theme for this particular party (as you probably can gather from the photos) was Christmas and extravagance.

The main performance was the rock band that I traveled from Chengdu with; 红水, or Red Water. I sat in with their band for a few tunes, then was left on stage by myself with a Band-in-the-Box track playing to back me up. Unfortunately this crowd's taste in music proved to be a little less sophisticated than the typical Chengdu audience. Many patrons left, and some of those who remained called out requests for some (apparently) popular Kenny G originals. Sorry Chongqing, not my thing!

No comments: