Saturday, December 13, 2008

Rumor Mill; No Gig

I can't be too specific at this point, but our piano player Larry recently had a phone conversation with a good friend who happens to be the owner of a popular music bar in Shanghai. Apparently the video clip I recently posted sparked his interest in opening a bar here in Chengdu. Chengdu has never had an exclusively jazz themed bar, but I think a jazz bar opened under the name of this Shanghai venue would really generate some interest. And if the reception our band has been getting is any indication of Chengdu's willingness to embrace this kind of venue, I think the bar could really succeed.

On the other hand, today the band suffered a minor setback in our vision of spreading jazz across Chengdu. Last week we arranged to play a gig at some function (probably real estate related) this afternoon. Unfortunately after the agent heard our band at one of our shows he told us “我不懂你们的音乐。我觉得爵士乐不合适我们的现场。你们能不能玩儿听众听过的歌?” This translated means "I don't understand your music. I think jazz doesn't suit our venue. Can you play some songs that the audience has heard of?" And he asked us this after hearing us play Satin Doll, Fly Me to the Moon, and a few other obscenely overplayed jazz standards. So, unfortunately no gig today, but I guess we could use the break in anticipation of tomorrow's big recording session!

No comments: