Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dao Le

The trip was a bit longer than expected but I'm finally back in the saddle here in Chengdu. Thanks to an Air China passenger who decided to check a small washing machine, I missed my connection in Beijing. Our plane out of JFK was swarmed by police and TSA agents for two hours- responding to a leak of laundry detergent.

It is good to be back though. The sky is a bit more gloomy, the weather is colder, my heater is broken, but I'm happy to be here. On Thursday our band began what will be a new weekly gig at perhaps Chengdu's most popular foreign bar; The Shamrock. While it did seem a bit dead for a Thursday, the bar has a nice easy going ambiance, very conducive to an enjoyable show.

I've also already been getting calls for the "Lao Wai" gigs, those special jobs just for foreigners that pay so well. I've heard that now is the season for this kind of work, and it's a good chance to horde some RMB (the Chinese currency) in preparation for a potentially barren winter.

Well, after finally adjusting to the Eastern Time Zone less than a week ago, I am hit with the jet lag again. The fatigue is nagging, but I will keep posting for all you loyal readers! Stay tuned for more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least the plane wasn't missing one of its phalanges.