Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Last post from China for a few weeks

I'm back in Chengdu for one last day before heading home. Tomorrow I'll be heading to Beijing to stay with my good friend Alex and his All-American roommate. The following day I begin the 20-something hour journey back to the rolling hills of Avon, Connecticut. I think it has been over six months since I set foot on my native soil and I'm definitely ready for the break.

My work/vacation in Chongqing went by pretty quickly. The actual performances were very short. In total we played about thirty minutes to an hour each day; most of our time being spent waiting around the reception hall or being shuttled around in a taxi. The gig itself consisted of me and my American friend Brent from Chengdu both playing sax over some "band-in-a-box" music tracks. Although the music was terribly boring I did manage to make some new fans!

While the music wasn't so rewarding we tried to make the best out of our little adventure by doing some sight seeing. We had a go at Chongqing's famous "hot pot", known as the spiciest in China. (Thank you TUMS antacid) We also took a stroll along the river, walked through one of the cities famous vendor streets, saw the center of the downtown area, and even went to a big amusement park. The city is truly massive though and to get a real feel for it would probably take weeks or even months. The skyline is filled with what seemed like never ending skyscrapers and towering apartment buildings, and from a high vantage point you can see that the city just goes on and on. Chongqing reminds me a bit of Hong Kong; the downtown area rests along the water, however a lot of the city is also built up into the surrounding mountains. The big difference however is Chongqing is pretty dirty, and this "foggy London town" as our agent called it, is really just a big industrial city choking on its own pollution.

Well, it's good to be back "home", and I'm sure it will be better to be back HOME in a few days. I'll keep the blog going from Avon though as I might have a few interesting tales about law school applications, or maybe even a couple trips to New York or Boston. 从成都- 再见!

No comments: